Monday, November 2, 2009

I dressed up as myself for Halloween

For Halloween, I was myself. I participated in my first performance as a storyteller.

I used to tell stories at the library, I took the week long PoetryAlive! workshop with Allan Wolf and I completed the Storytelling Course at the University of Missouri-St. Louis this summer with Lynn Rubright, Sue Hinkel, Annette Harrison, Perrin Stifel. But for me to get on stage with real live performers who do this all the time was a big step. I thought I was going to watch and enjoy other performers, but I was "called" to the stage.

My new friend, Miss J, whispered something to her aunt about my stories and her aunt, who promoted and hosted the event graciously put me on the program. Just like that...divine intervention. When Miss J told me what she did, I almost dropped to the floor. "I need ice water." She brought me a small glass and showed me the stage. The venue was cozy, the "Warm Lyrics Cafe" at the Raleigh Marriott Crabtree. Miss J's aunt, Shelia Wilson, envisioned such an evening with many more to come over the next couple of months all over North Carolina.

I read just a few short stories that I had written in the last couple of weeks. The audience was extremely supportive, with Miss J smiling up front. Afterwards, people came up to me with beautiful words to express how my stories made them feel.

"I could see, hear, and smell everything you were saying."

"You are so talented."

"You got it, girl. Now go and do it."

"That story reminded me of my grandfather."

"You are truly a blessing."

I am the one who is blessed...blessed with the opportunity to share...

I will not wait until next Halloween to "dress up" again as myself. Stay tuned for the next "Warm Lyrics Cafe". and Candid Conversations with Shelia Wilson in January 2010.

No comments: